Discover How Water Can Improve Health and Make You Feel Better
We've all heard that drinking water is vital to achieving optimum health, and My Neat Health Meal Replacement Shakes and Healthy Fruit Drinks can help ensure that you get the hydration you need. However, while most of us know that getting proper hydration is essential, we may not take it as seriously as we should.
So, let's talk about why hydration is important and how it can help improve your health.
What Does Water Do?
According to the Mayo Clinic, "Drinking water does more than just quench your thirst — it's essential to keeping your body functioning properly and feeling healthy. Nearly all of your body's major systems depend on water to function and survive."
Water is essential for the following functions:
- Flushing waste
- Regulating your body temperature
- Protecting organs and tissues
- Lubricating joints
- Moistening tissues in the mouth, nose, and eyes
- Helping your brain to function
Not consuming enough water can lead to:
- Kidney stones
- Urinary Tract Infections
- And more
How Does Proper Hydration Make You Feel Better?
This is all good information, but we can't see water regulating our body temperature or lubricating our joints. However, there are also many benefits that you can see and feel when you're adequately hydrated:
- Lose Weight – Research shows that adequate hydration helps break down and burn fat faster, and drinking water before a meal can reduce the desire to eat more.
- Maximize Physical Performance – Physical activity causes sweat, which can cause dehydration if you don't increase your water consumption. Dehydration can affect your endurance and strength.
- Boost Energy – Drinking water can boost your metabolism, which has been shown to help increase your energy level.
- Improve Mood – Dehydration can cause fatigue, confusion, and anxiety.
- Increase Cognitive Function – Research has shown that being dehydrated can affect your ability to focus, your alertness, and your short-term memory.
- Healthier Skin – Proper hydration helps keep your skin hydrated and may even promote the production of collagen. Both help keep your skin looking bright, healthy, and younger.
How much is Enough?
About 60-70% of our bodies are made up of water. We lose water through breathing, urine, perspiration, and bowel movements. According to the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, about 20 percent of your daily water intake comes from food. We need to supplement that by consuming enough beverages that contain water.
Everyone's needs are different. It depends on where you live, your activity level, your weight, your age, your metabolism, etc., which is why it is best to check with your doctor. Medical News Today offers these general recommendations for adults ages 19-30 years:
- About 130 oz for men
- About 95 oz for women
Encourage your children to drink water as part of their daily routine, such as after brushing their teeth or before and after playtime. This helps them develop good habits early in life.
As we age, hydration becomes even more critical. Research has shown that well-hydrated adults have fewer falls, and dehydration has been linked to increased urinary tract infections, confusion, kidney failure, and slower healing wounds.
How to Consume More Water
There are many ways you can increase your water consumption. Here are a few suggestions:
- Keep a pitcher of water in the refrigerator.
- Drink a cup of water before each meal and after every bathroom break.
- Eat foods – such as melons, cucumbers, etc. – that contain higher amounts of water.
- Enjoy My Neat Health delicious and refreshing healthy fruit drinks.
- Enjoy My Neat Health meal replacement supplements, which are clinically formulated by health experts to deliver optimum levels of the nutrition your body needs. They come in a variety of different flavors, such as chocolate, chocolate mint, strawberry crème, and more.
Live your best life now! Stay hydrated and create your own healthy eating plan, weight management plan, or diet regime with My Neat Health's healthy and delicious breakfasts, entrees, shakes, desserts, snacks, and more!